Friday, July 18, 2008

Almost there......


OK well it's been a very long wait but the time is allllmost here. After completing the prelim and waiting for messages for a period of months, I finally leave for Comox on the 21st of July. Despite my every effort to make this as fluid a transition as possible, I've been thwarted at every turn. I was one of the first guys to get an offer and I had my medicals done immediately. But my paperwork was lost somewhere in Toronto for 6 weeks resulting in: a late posting message which forced me to move back into barracks and; an inordinate amount of stress. Anyway no time for sob stories.

On the good side I am leaving Victoria in 3 days to go to Comox. I've been trying to secure accommodations in Comox so that I would not be forced to live in Barracks up there. As luck would have it, a good friend of mine was recently appointed accommodations supervisor up in Comox and he's been working to ensure I get the place I want. They have fully furnished one bedroom apartments available to military members up there but the waiting list is huge. Luckily Jonesy is in a position to put my name at the top of that list. It's very important I get this place because I cannot afford to live off base in an apartment downtown, both financially (I'm losing a substantial amount of money leaving the Navy) as well as time wise as it is a very intensive course and I don't want to be far away from the base. More importantly Ewa will be able to come and stay with me when she has the time without having to worry about a hotel or anything, whereas we would not be able to do that if I were in barracks.

I'll update this again after I get situated in Comox.

No comments: